Friday, September 11, 2009

Appavum nanum - Part 2

It was still fresh in her mind. She had finished her 12th and came home. Her mother was packing all her things. It has been decided. It had been three days since the shock came in. 'May be, I knew this would come. After what ma has been through all these years...', she thought. But still it is hard. What difference would it make to her anyways. She had always been away from her parents since she remembered. Convent food, hostel mates, warden, empty vacations, postal gifts, monthly letters, calls from ma, occasionally pa.... this had been her world. 'If not for the warden.... she's like a mother to me.... all those days of longing for father would have been difficult otherwise. May God bless her...'

"Get ready Sapna, stop day dreaming. Your thatha's car have come! uffo, this is still unpacked... how did you manage alone in the convent I wonder...blah..blah...". "Coming ma!! give me a break... After all these years I thought I would get my family again... Why did I ever come here to see all this happening? why did you bring me back!..". "Thats enough! don't start this again... You are grown up and mature enough. All these years, I have been putting up with this man only for your sake. for your studies to get over... Do you think any other woman would have lasted longer??. Now, hurry up!"

Her mother took her luggage to the car outside. She was packing her backpack. Her father was standing by the door and watching her. He was too weak and not in his senses to walk properly. She was angry at him. If not for him, this would not have happened. Why can't he be like the other fathers? She used to get cards and gifts from her father. but after a while, there is void in their relationship. Her father entered into the room and went for the bed. She ignored him. When she was about to leave, "Sapna! here, keep this with you.", he handed her a book. It was Rathan's, her favourite author. She smiled, 'How come?'. But she was too angry to say thanks.

"Sapna, hurry up!!". "Yes mother", she was rushing towards the car. Her father was trying to catch upto them to say Good bye. As she turned to have a last look at her father whom she was longing to see four days ago, she saw it happen. Her father lost his balance and fell off the entrance onto the mud road. He brushed all the mud and was struggling to stand on his legs. she rushed to help her father and it continued ever since.

"you are out of your senses!!! Now, you better come with me... you are not going to achieve anything staying with this man. I have experienced everything. You are being naive and emotional and you do not know the real world. Listen to your mother... You will become a failure living with this man!!!" It didn't enter her senses. "Ma, all these years I have always longed for a father's affection. Now that I have him, I dont want to ditch him like this. I know he is not a good man. But he is my father after all..."

"Listen young lady... you will come to me one day!! you will realize what's more important to survive in this world. When you get back to your senses, come to me alone, I will always be there to receive you" She gave a big hug to her mother. That was the last day she saw her. Occasionally she used to get letters from her mother. It used to be frequent. As months passed, the letters also faded. Now its been a year since she heard from her mother.

Her mother has found herself a new family. She also has a son and daughter now. During hostel days, she is the one who used to send gifts for her birthday, letters every month. 'Ma, you even forgot my birthday for the last two years... Everyone has a family, what did I do to be devoid of one...' tears rolled down... "Only fire maketh the steel" (his quote), she continued the accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment