Friday, September 11, 2009

Appavum Nanum - Part 3

The smell of lemon is so fresh. People in white dresses, a child's cry, the sickly faces reminded her of the museum old father of the watchman in her convent. Whoever loses the bet has to go to his room and get a string of thread from his blanket. Entering the room of the sickly mummy like old man was the daring most thing they could think of those days. 'Doctors take their own time', she thought.

Finally the nurse nodded and asked her to fill some application forms and gave a list of tests for her father. The doctor will attend to her father only after the test results. Lucky for her, they were kind on her pocket. Basic urine, blood tests... Her father escaped her last two attempts of testing by fully loading him. This time she was prepared for him.

The results came and doctor called her. 'Do the doctor always give this grave look or what??'. "Miss...", "Sapna!", "Ahh, Ms. Sapna. I had already told you to stop his drinking habits. Looks like you were being careless!". "Doctor, let it out. How bad is he?". "Well, his liver can fail anytime. Single drop more and nothing will be gauranteed. I suggest that you apply for liver transplant and it is better to transplant early than to wait for it to fail..... I know your concern.... Sapna, my father is a close friend of your father. I know your family situation. Even if you apply now, we will never know when we will get one... the liver has to match... Give him these tablets regularly which will sustain the current situation and give us a buffer time... blah blah blah..."

'It had all come to this now Sapna!'. "How many days did he say?", her father asked her. She gave him a desperate look, "Appa, why don't you give me a chance? why can't you help me prove that I took the right decision? (sigh) I wish you would listen to me once". "You are like your mother, even she wanted me to listen to her. but its no use...".

'A single drop more and nothing will be gauranteed, the doctor had said. How am I going to stop him? How to arrange for the transplant? I had saved some from all my pocket money which barely meets. ....my scholarship money... how much was it???'. She won the outstanding student award in her 12th and was awarded scholarship for higher education by 'Tamil literary society'. She was safe keeping it as it is the only family savings for emergencies. 'The bank branch was in my convent place. may be i can take appa along with me stay there for a while. I need a break. it will be a good change. shreya is also there...Shreya, my only living moral support after ma left...'

No comments:

Post a Comment